Wednesday 24 June 2015

ANGELS ARE MY EYES!


THULANI is completely blind and lives alone, but he hardly ever asks anyone for help.

“The angels guide me,” said Thulani Thembela (30).
He rents rooms at a house in Kagiso, Mogale City in Gauteng and pays his rent out of his disability grant.
He cooks for himself, cleans his place himself and does his own washing and ironing.
“I only ask fellow tenants to help me carry heavy things because I may trip and fall,” he said.
Thulani lost his sight in 2000.
He demonstrated to the SunTeam how he cooks for himself and irons his clothes.
He would not let us help him as he plugged in the iron and opened the ironing board to iron his trousers.
“I do everything on my own. I don’t want to be a burden to anyone,” he said.
Shadrack Keutlwileng, one of the tenants, said they were amazed by Thulani’s independence.
“We felt sorry for him at first and wanted to help him but he didn’t allow it,” said Shadrack.
Thulani also runs a small detergent business.
“I was given the formula for the detergents by the angels,” he said.
“I asked around to find out where I could buy the products to mix the detergent,” he said.
“I do paving solutions which kill weeds. I manufacture washing detergents for clothes and other chemicals to clean car seats and couches.”
He said he wants to grow his business and he is appealing to business people to help him.
“We buy his detergents because it works wonders,” said another tenant.
“He’s very talented and we wish someone could help him.”
Thulani said he doesn’t know his family.
He said he was abandoned as a baby and was raised in a shelter, and came to Gauteng in 2012.

No comments: